Monday, December 15, 2014

Life Lessons from Sermons

LA CANN Gardens in Ponca City, OK 



I found this post in my DRAFTS--it's from October 2014 



As I have been processing through many things weighing heavily on my heart, I have come up with a few life lessons. 

At our church, we have Victory U which is a local bible school for the members of our church. This month, one class is entitled: EPIC Sermons of the Century. Sermons are shown via DVD from conferences, camps, other special services, etc. 

One, as I agonize over an apparent lack of life-accomplishments (an apparent obvious mid-life crisis moment, haha) , I realize that as long as myself and my family are saved, that's an accomplishment in itself. Even if my family chooses to go another way and not be saved, I cannot help them, only myself. 

I can't help the people in my life, especially since they continually choose to go their own way in spite of the warnings, teachings, meetings, etc. 

As I thought this over, I re-visited an EPIC sermon yesterday from BOTT (Because of the Times) several years ago: Royce Wilson was the speaker and Prisoner in the Land of Fulfillment, was the title of the message. 

Several take-aways from the message: 

  • God will do what He said He will do. Quit worrying about NOT seeing WHERE you're going--sometimes God has to push us backwards into His will as we look to Him--not the situations around us. :) Definitely feel I am going backwards! :) 

  • Sometimes, God chooses to NOT answer inferior prayers that are based only on what I've seen and heard before, rather, God will deny ALL inferior requests in order to fulfill my greatest destiny. (What this is...obviously, I have NO idea...haha)

  • If Joseph wasn't in position, the world would've starved. God had to put Joseph in prison to keep him in position for the promotion. ARGH--prison--really? Yep, that's what this reality feels like! :) 

Another EPIC message that I heard last week, was from 2013's Campmeeting. 

Robert Tisdale's Mud on Your Face--Faith in Your Heart--a VERY impact-ful message about willingly being spent for the kingdom. 

A few take-aways I learned from his message, or rather, God's message to me: 

  • As long as we assign blame to others, we never allow God to move in the realm of the supernatural. 

  • God's going to use my brokenness for His glory and no, I don't have to have the right answers. God has a myriad of ways to work--He will bring me out of whenever and How ever He chooses because desperate people don't care how the miracle comes (Namaan, all examples of blind eyes in NT) 

  • In John 9, the un-named man doesn't argue. How many miracles have I missed because I opened my mouth? When I get my mouth right, the miracle follows. Lord, forgive me of my criticism, cynicism, defending myself, etc. 

  • Sometimes, when we receive a touch from God, our situation grows darker. Sometimes, an authentic touch from God will feel darker than lighter. Sometimes, the purpose of God is to make my situation worse. (Really?) Some are embarrassed by the mud on their faces, when all the while, God is positioning them for a miracle. How can God receive glory in private? 

  • Like Paul, I will gladly be spent in bible studies, Sunday school classes with snarky youth, writing endless lessons, teaching classes, etc. Because, sometimes when God spends us it costs us something very dear and great. 

  • Stephen was the currency which was used to purchase the majority of the New Testament. Could Paul have been Stephen? 

Here's the super TOUGH question: 

Can I accept where 
I am 
(in life) 
as the purpose 
and the hand 
of the Almighty God? 


Many were spent throughout scripture to purchase something much greater than themselves. 

  • Moses--was spent as he allowed himself to lead the millions of Israelites to freedom in Canaan. 

  • Jeremiah who was told to buy a field for a generation to come. He ministered to people who despised him...his ministry looked like a lost cause. 

that's my wonderings for this season--summer, fall and winter all inclusive. 

Live a LATTE today & tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so happy to read your comments! I will try my hardest to respond to all comments! Have a blessed day!