Friday, March 7, 2014

Kisses from Katie: a new discontent

Some books are good reads,
 
Some books teach me new information,
 
Some books are classic literature.
 
Then, there are some books that
 
simply mess up
 
BOTH my heart and my mind.
 
Kisses from Katie was exactly that type of book.



Katie Davis' organization is called Amazima


It happened so simply....my sister in law Janet gave me a copy of the book at Thanksgiving. I read a page here and there and laid it aside, planning to read it soon. That was three months ago.

Well, I finally read it on my Kindle/iPad mini this past month, finishing this week.

Welcome to my new state of discontent...

HOLY Discontent is defined by Bill Hybels as the following:
"What is the one aspect of this broken world that, when you see it, touch it, get near it, you just can’t stand? Very likely, that firestorm of frustration reflects your holy discontent, a reality so troubling that you are thrust off the couch and into the game. It’s during these defining times when your eyes open to the needs surrounding you and your heart hungers to respond that you hear God say, “I feel the same way about this problem. Now, let’s go solve it together!” As you live from the energy of your holy discontent, you’ll fulfill your role in setting what is wrong in this world right!"


The front gate at Katie's house is always open!
Bill Hybels coined the term holy discontent in his book by the same title. That is the only term I can think to explain how I have felt since I began to read about Katie Davis and her life in Uganda.

How can I possibly go on with my entitled life of obvious luxury when I read of someone like Katie living out Jesus to everyone she meets? Everything I do...every action....every "necessity" I think I "have-to" have to live....pales in comparison to Katie's everyday world with her girls in Uganda. Read more about Katie's story HERE.

                                               Hear Katie speak of her burden for Uganda

Every moment since I finished the book three days ago has been spent with this agonizing thought:

What on earth am I doing to show the love of Jesus Christ in my everyday life? 


Katie and her girls' precious feet
I'll be completely honest here....I do NOT have an answer to that question. As much as I try to show kindness and love to people on my job, at the store, etc. it somehow just pales in comparison to what Katie has done....is doing. I have never sat with anyone dying of AIDS, picked "jiggers" out of anyone's toes, cooked beans for 200, 300, 600 kids over an open fire, brought sick people into my home to care for them just because no one else will.....the list is endless!
 
My friend Kelley, over at Kelley Highway, asked me the question,
"So what did you learn from Katie?"

Here are a few of the lessons I learned from Katie:
  • love everyone in your path
  • feed the hungry people in your view
  • make sure that kids are getting an education
  • do something about what you see
  • don't worry about the rules of what's expected--just love people
  • don't be afraid to bring people into your home and care for them
  • realize that God's your source of strength
  • go after what your heart tells you--no matter how crazy
  • love unconditionally
  • leave the front gate open--you never know who might need a place
  • carry first-aid supplies in your car to bandage people up wherever and whenever
  • notice poor, shivering little children in the rain--get them supper
  • be willing to live with rats and roaches to love orphans
  • how to have a heart big enough for 600+ children--everyday
  • not to worry about how everything will unfold--just focus on the one face in front of you

                                                 watch to find out more about Amazima


To sum up my experience with Kisses from Katie, here is a quote from Katie, mother of 13 Ugandan daughters:

“People tell me I am brave. People tell me I am strong. People tell me good job. Well here is the truth of it. I am really not that brave, I am not really that strong, and I am not doing anything spectacular. I am just doing what God called me to do as a follower of Him. Feed His sheep, do unto the least of His people.”


My question to myself is...
 

Am I feeding His sheep
and
doing it unto the
least of His people?
 
Am I doing what God has called me to do as His follower?
 
 
 
Feel free to comment as I'd love to hear what you have to say about Katie and her work in Uganda.
Please comment and let me know if you've also read the book.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so happy to read your comments! I will try my hardest to respond to all comments! Have a blessed day!